Thursday 25 August 2011

Have Your Cake

I performed a new piece of work called Have Your Cake at Kraak Gallery, Manchester for Maria and the Gay's album launch. It was a 5 minute experiment about a phone call to my mum. The piece involved me tricking a man into marrying me and explored the failure of big celebrations (and maybe, actually, the celebration of big failures). It did end up with cake all over myself, and I know it's dangerous territory (female performance artist covered in cream, again) but I knew I had to be in order to tell the audience a small, sad thing. People listened in a way they only could if you'd really embarrassed yourself. There's definitely things in this that I want to revisit!


For more about Maria and the Gay click here
For more info about Kraak Gallery click here

No comments: